- Procedure Details
- Risks / Benefits
- Recovery & Outlook
When a Stiff Neck Is Something More in Arizona
It is relatively common to experience neck stiffness. Often times, this stiffness is a result of poor posture and bad habits; however, sometimes it can be due to something more serious. Whether the cause is an infection or another abnormality, it’s important to have your tightness diagnosed by a professional. We’ve provided a guide to assessing your neck pain, allowing you to make an educated choice on what to do. If you are experiencing severe stiffness and regular treatment is not working, contact a medical professional. Our Arizona teams at Banner CORE Center for Orthopedics are ready to help diagnose your source of discomfort and take steps to relieve your pain.
Causes of a stiff neck
A stiff neck is the result of stress trauma caused by an accident or due to daily poor posture. Most people associate a stiff neck with mild pain or discomfort, although they can also lead to a reduction in mobility. If the irritation isn’t caused by something more serious, such as injury or accident, your neck may be tight from unnatural movements and motions. Bad habits that can cause neck stiffness include the following:
- Continually hunching over while on the phone
- Poor posture while sitting – This includes at the desk, while driving, or sitting on the couch.
- Sleeping in a poor position – Sleeping with a straight spine can help prevent neck stiffness. A special neck pillow may also eliminate or reduce the occurrence of stiffness and pain.
- Straining your neck during exercise – It’s always important to be mindful of your neck while doing stretches or exercises. If these are performed wrong, you can cause serious damage to your muscles and tendons.
How to tell when it’s something more
Even though the presence of a stiff neck is relatively common, it’s important to pay attention to your symptoms. If you notice any of the below, you should contact a medical professional such as those at our Phoenix, AZ, office. Enduring serious, ongoing neck stiffness without proper attention or care can cause further damage, which may be lasting. Symptoms you should look out for include the following:
- Fever, which could be a sign of infection
- Nausea, vomiting, or dizziness
- Fatigue, including drowsiness
- If your headaches are more intense than usual, they could be a sign of something more serious.
- Decrease in coordination, especially with regard to issues performing daily activities, such as walking or holding objects
- Unexplained weight loss could be the result of a serious condition.
- Altered mental state, including mood swings and confusion
If you are displaying abnormal symptoms along with a stiff neck, they may be due to a more serious condition. Problems may be caused by the following conditions:
- Cervical dystonia (movement disorder)
Find treatment today!
If you believe your symptoms go beyond the average stiff neck, please contact us today. The team here at Banner CORE Center for Orthopedics is ready to give you a full diagnosis and provide proper treatment. We are committed to helping you with your condition and returning you to a pain-free life. For more information or to schedule an appointment, give us a call in Phoenix, AZ, now.